Monday, January 26, 2009

Sleeve Goes to da Movies! 1/26/09

(Ed. Note: This article is written by special correspondent Brian Shortsleeve, a faithful film viewer who will write up his thoughts on the latest Hollywood releases every few weeks. Brian is a big fan of Michael Douglas and RATT.)


Much like in the sports world, it’s hard to argue that there is a better time of the year for the world of cinema then we are in right now! The Oscar nods are out, the buzz for the summer blockbusters is starting to build, and what better place to be in this freezing cold weather than a nice warm movie theatre with some of your best friends and a big tub of popcorn!


The Oscar nominations were announced last week, the Screen Actors Guild awards were last night, and with the NFL taking a week off before the big game, I had a chance to catch not one, but TWO absolutely fabulous films this weekend! A little bit about those, and Sleeve's thoughts on the Oscar nods to follow.


On Saturday, I was lucky enough to get a chance to screen Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler. There has been a lot of hype for this one, especially for Mickey Rourke's lead role as Randy "The Ram", a washed up professional wrestler attempting a comeback in both his career and his personal life. After sitting through the film, I must say, this film is worth the hype! Rourke gives a powerhouse performance, as does his love interest, previous Academy Award (Best Supporting Actress, My Cousin Vinny) winner Marisa Tomei. The film is heart-wrenching at times; it is very emotional and can be extremely depressing, however it is a terrific achievement and another great entry for Aronofsky (Pi, The Fountain). Rourke and Tomei are both up for Oscars. I think Rourke has a very good shot at winning his first statue, but he will face some stiff competition from previous winner and critic's darling Sean Penn, for his role in Milk. Anyway, I give The
Wrestler
a very high recommendation. It’s certainly not the feel-good movie of the year, but its must-see material as far as I am concerned.


Grade: A


On Sunday, not having a full day of football for the first time in a few months, and seeing there are about 8 movies out there I need to see, I figured I would knock another one off the list. I caught the 4:20 showing of Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road. It reunites Titanic co-stars Leo DeCaprio and Kate Winslet, as a struggling young married couple in the 1950's. Leo plays Frank Wheeler, a young, handsome businessman. Winslet stars as his wife April, an aspiring actress who is watching her dreams slip away as they settle into their suburban lifestyle. The film is emotionally on fire. The performances by the 2 leads are absolutely astounding. The fact that neither got an Oscar nod, and the fact that the film was not nominated for best picture is borderline criminal as far as I am concerned. This is a fantastic film. Similar to The Wrestler, not exactly the best date movie, but any true fan of the art of cinema should thoroughly enjoy this one. It is beautifully shot (like any Mendes film; American Beauty, Road to Perdition), and I cannot get over the acting performances. Absolutely Hall of Fame material.

Grade: A+

THE OSCAR NOMS ARE OUT! THE OSCAR NOMS ARE OUT!

Let’s talk some Oscars! I haven't seen all of the films/performances nominated yet, so I'll list the 5 major categories and give me EARLY predictions based on reviews and rumors. Over the next few weeks, once I see more of these films, I may revise these picks, but here goes.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role:

Josh Brolin, Milk
Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Heath Ledger, Dark Knight
Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road

Thoughts: I've seen 3 of the 5 performances here. I need to see Doubt and Milk, but I think this goes to Ledger no matter who else is up there. The Academy works in mysterious ways, so I guess it wouldn't shock me if it goes to someone else. Shannon kills in Rev Road, so in any other year he'd probably be my pick, but I think this will be a good tribute to Heath.

Pick: Heath Ledger


Best Actress in a Supporting Role:

Amy Adams, Doubt
Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis, Doubt
Taraji P. Henson, Benajmin Button
Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler

Thoughts: I've seen Button and Wrestler, and even though both were good, I think this goes to Amy Adams based on what I've read.

Pick: Amy Adams


Lead Actress:

Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie, Changeling
Melissa Leo, Frozen River
Meryl Streep, Doubt
Kate Winslet, The Reader

Thoughts: I've only seen Changeling, and I don't think Jolie has any chance. Winslet has been nominated for 6 Oscars and never won, I think the fact that she got nominated for The Reader and not Rev Road says how good she must be in The Reader. I think she takes this one down.

Pick: Kate Winslet


Lead Actor:

Richard Jenkins, The Visitor
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn, Milk
Brad Pitt, Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Thoughts: I've seen The Visitor, BB, and The Wrestler, so I need to see the other 2. I enjoyed The Visitor and I'm pulling for Jenkins, but I think it's a 2-horse race. It should be Penn or Rourke. The Academy LOVES Penn, but everyone loves a comeback! I'm going with Mickey.

Pick: Mickey Rourke


Best Picture:

Frost/Nixon
Slumdog Millionaire
Milk
The Reader
Benjamin Button

Thoughts: I've only seen BB, and that probably won't win. I think its down to Milk or Slumdog, and im going with the underdog!!!

Pick: Slumdog Millionaire


There you have it! I'll be back in a few weeks after I see more of these films with some revised thoughts! Til then, keep your eyes open, your mind fresh, and the popcorn poppin'!


Brian Shortsleeve

No comments:

Post a Comment