Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sleeve Goes to da Movies! 5/5/09


Hey all! Boy, seems like just yesterday I was digging my car out of 3 feet of snow, drinking hot chocolate, and giving you my Oscar picks! Now, believe it or not, this marks the first week of the Summer blockbuster season! I figured I'd give a quick rundown of what's coming out, what my thoughts are on what's coming out, and maybe even play that fun little guessing game of how much money each movie will make in their opening weekends. I figure the best way to do this is to just go in order of when they come out.

[Note: All dollar figure guesses are just for opening weekends]

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (May 1)

Hugh Jackman is back in the 4th feature film installment of the popular comic book series. I'll have to admit, I'm not really a comic book fan, and I've only seen 1 of the previous X-Men movies, which I did enjoy. It turns in to the Hugh Jackman show this time around, and hey, what's wrong with that?! This one is coming out early enough in the year where I plan to go see it opening weekend. Trailer looks cool, and Jackman looks, well, Jacked! We've been in that couple month mire where all the Oscar movies are done and the summer movies haven't hit yet, and it’s been stinker after stinker for most of the spring (with the exception of "State of Play", which I caught last week. Awesome film Highly recommended!!). If this came out in June or July I probably would wait to catch it on HBO next year, but since I've been itching to get back to the movies, this has my interest enough to head there on opening weekend.

Will I see it? Yes

Will it be good? Probably

How much will it open with? X-Men movies usually rake at the box office. I've got a strange feeling this one won't crack the $100 mil mark though. I know that Iron Man came out around this time last year and opened right around 100, but I figure with the economy, and (maybe it’s just me??) seemingly a lack of buzz for this one, we might see a lower number on this one. Prediction: $65 mil.

Star Trek (May 8)

In this age of re-doing everything, why not Star Trek too! I never watched the TV show, I never saw any of the movies. I'm well aware of the popularity, and its huge success in the past, but I'll be honest when I say I don’t know much about this franchise. However, the previews I've seen for this movie really make me want to go see it. Not a lot of big names in terms of actors, but I think this one has potential to be good for a couple reasons. First, and this could go either way, the trailer looks sick. I know that doesn't always make for a good movie, but it seems like a cool angle to take on the franchise. Second, the director. JJ Abrams, co-creator of the TV series "Lost" obviously has a pretty creative way of thinking. This will be only the 2nd feature film he's directed, but I really, really liked the first one he did (Mission Impossible 3). Will all the Trekies out there like it? Couldn't tell you. But it does look like a cool flick.

Will I see it? Yes

Will it be good? Probably

How much will it make? Strange feeling a lot of the die-hard trekies won’t go see this out of protest. Still will get a good amount to the theatre though, and it is coming out against basically no competition. $43 Mil.

Angels & Demons (May 15th)

Ron Howard doesn't make bad movies, Tom Hanks doesn't make bad movies, it’s based on a really good book, so it’s pretty hard to see how this won't be a good movie. I feel like some people who loved the book version of Da Vinci Code were a little disappointed with the movie, so, that’s really the only possible wrench I see to this movie opening big.

Will I see it? Probably not. I didn't read the book, I'll have just been to the cinema a few times in a row, so I will likely miss this one in theatres.

Will it be good? Yes!

How much will it make? Da Vinci Code was up around $70 I believe. I don’t think this one has quite the wheels Da Vinci Code did. I feel like everyone and their brother read that book and were really stoked for the movie to come out. Should still do pretty well though. $48 mil.

Terminator Salvation (May 22)

Looks like Christian Bale's plan to take over every franchise in Hollywood is starting to gain some steam! Batman, Terminator, what's next? A re-vamping of the Police Academy series with Bale replacing Steve Guttenberg? Ok, probably not, but Bale is on fire right now. He and Christopher Nolan have build themselves up to legendary status with their work in the Batman franchise, and he teams up with another first class director this summer for yet another huge movie (we'll get to that in a second). But here, he's got me a little nervous. I love Bale. I love the Terminator movies. But this time, he teams up with McG? Really? I mean, I love "Charlie's Angels" as much as the next guy, but I've got a horrible feeling this dope is going to destroy one of my favorite movie franchises, and make one of my favorite actor's look bad. Maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong, but every part of me is feeling that this movie is going to be a big-time disappointment. We will see, we will see.

Will I see it? Yes

Will it be good? Probably not. But I haven't given up hope yet.

How much will it make? I feel like a lot of the Terminator die-hards like myself share my concern, but still plan to see it. It will probably do well, but don’t forget that is going up against Night At the Museum 2, which made some decent bank a couple years back. I have a feeling this figure could possibly be way off (in either direction), but here goes: $50 mil.

Land of the Lost (June 5th)

Will Ferrell has become less annoying to me over the last 18 months or so, but I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because I haven't seen him advertised for a movie for well over a year, or maybe it’s because of his hilarious cameos on the HBO series "Eastbound & Down". Either way, I won’t see this one, but not because of Ferrell. I just don’t really think I fall in the demographic they are going for. Should be harmless, and fun. Not to mention, another huge step forward for Ferrell disciple Danny McBride.

Will I see it? No

Will it be good? Sure!

How much will it make? $40 mil.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (June 24th)

I said a couple years back the Shia LeBeouf is the next Tom Cruise, and aside from some minor off-screen incidences, he's still on track. Another huge movie for the young guy. I've seen the first Transformers (not in theatres) but this franchise just isn't quite enough up my alley to get me to see it in the theatre (even with Megan Fox). The fact that Michael Bay actually made a decent movie with the first one tells me that he's probably going to fuck this one up. It'll still make money though.

Will I see it? No

Will it be good? No

How much will it make? Should be big. Maybe the biggest of the summer. $75 mil.

Public Enemies (July 1)

Now we're talking. I've been waiting for this one for a while. Johnny Depp as John Dillinger! Christian Bale, in his second huge movie of the summer. Michael Mann directing! Wow. This one looks really slick. Lot of other familiar faces in the supporting cast too, Giovanni Ribisi, Billy Crudup, Channing Tatum, and others. Here's what annoys me about the movie going public though, this will likely be the best movie of the summer, and it will probably make the least amount of money. I guess that’s just the way it goes. I am certainly most excited for this one, and will be seeing in on night 1. Gotta love Michael Mann movies (we'll give him a pass on "Miami Vice").

Will I see it? Yes

Will it be good? Yes

How much will it make? Doesn't have the recognizable title or typical summer blockbuster plot, but I think the cast and trailer should be enough to get a good amount of people there. $44 mil.

Others to check out this summer:

Judd Apatow's 3rd directorial effort : "Funny People", July 31st. Others that will probably do well, but I really have no interest in; GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra, and Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds".

There you have it!! Should be a pretty good summer. I'll be back around the end of May after I've seen 3 or 4 of these. Til then, you know what to do!!!!

Brian Shortsleeve

No comments:

Post a Comment